In 2017, I’m hosting the third annual pg70pit, a totally unique type of contest and pitching opportunity for writers with complete, polished novels (Middle Grade, YA, or NA/Adult) in any genre except erotica.
(Can’t wait that long? Have a graphic novel or picture book? Enter Pitch to Publication on April 7th)
This summer, I’m changing things up a bit to make it more easier on me and on participating agents, while still offering the same fun opportunities for participating writers. Find out more after the jump.
Use #70pit17 for fun stuff
Tweet @LaraEdits for Contest Questions
Read #pg70pit for announcements
Tweet your 7-word description on #pg70pit for the “Twinner” contest on June 7th
Times are given in EDT, or New York City time. 7pm EDT is 4pm in Vancouver, 11pm in London, and 9am (the next day) in Sydney.
WHAT’S the same IN 2017
- No query letter, no 35-word pitch, no first page
- Judges will choose winners solely on the voice of the 70th page, not by genre or 7-word description
- We’ll still use song titles for codenames to keep the contest anonymous
- You can enter up to three manuscripts, one in each age category
- The 7 top entries for each age category will go live on larawillard.com on July 7th
What’s Different in 2017
- If you’ve made it to the agent round in a previous pg70pit contest, please do not enter. You know we love you, but pg70pit is about discovering new voices. ❤
- You’ll submit entries a full month before the agent round,
- All entries will be submitted on June 7, regardless of genre, and you’ll have a full 24 hours to enter.
- 70 entries for each age category will be chosen by lottery
- An 7 additional entries for each age category will be chosen in a Twitter contest based on your 7-word description
- Contest readers will be divided not by genre, but by age category
- Only 7 winners will be picked, and they’ll all be here on my blog
- If we really can’t agree on 7 winners, we’ll look at entries that didn’t get into the lottery
Save the Dates
Now until June 1
Make sure your full novel manuscript is agent ready. Then prepare your contest entry by reading Revising for Writing Contests and How to Submit. The 7-word description is really important this year if you want to enter the Twitter contest, so get that ready, too!
Like last year, we’ll have a Twitter party leading up to #pg70pit. Use the hashtag #70pit16 to participate
The submission forms—one for each age category—will go live at LaraWillard.com/blog at 12:01 a.m. EST on June 7, 2017, and will be removed at 12:00 a.m. June 8th, 2017.
To participate in the Twinner contest, tweet your 7-word description—just once, and pinned to your profile—on June 7th using #pg70pit.
Favorite and/or quote-RT any 7-word descriptions you like. This is a great way to meet other writers in the online community!
To be eligible for the Twinner contest, you must choose seven—just 7!—of your favorite 7-word descriptions and retweet them without quote-tweeting them.
Encourage your friends who aren’t participating to like or retweet your 7-word description. If you’re participating, though, you may only retweet seven contest tweets. Like or quote-RT the others. We’ll choose the 7 Twinners from the ones with the most RTs, the ones with the most likes, and some of our favorites from the tweet content itself.
Check in at larawillard.com/blog for the 7 Twinners and 70 lottery winners from each age category.
July 17–July 31
Didn’t get into the lottery? I’ll post on my blog an opportunity for you to find a CP, if you’d like.
Judges will read and score all of the 77 entries for each age category. Follow along on the #pg70pit tag for insight and teasers. I will rate each entry on my @LaraEdits account, like I tend to do, and other slushies and judges are encouraged to do the same. We don’t always agree, which is why I’m not the only judge!
AGENT ROUND—the top 7-scoring entries for each age category will be posted on my blog for agents to read and request from. In the event of a tie, I’ll call in another slush reader or two, confer with them, and then make my decision that way.
USE #70PIT17 FOR FUN STUFF
TWEET @LARAEDITS FOR CONTEST QUESTIONS
(or ask me in the comments below!)
READ #PG70PIT FOR ANNOUNCEMENTS
TWEET YOUR 7-WORD DESCRIPTION ON #PG70PIT FOR THE “TWINNER” CONTEST ON JUNE 7
If you’re not on Twitter, this is your chance to join, even if you never use it again after pg70pit is over! Follow @LaraEdits for writing and editing tips.