I’m Lara Willard. Pixelsmith since ’08, Wordherder since ’09. (Hi!)
I’m a sculptor of language, pixels, clay.
I’m a gardener speaking tenderly to sapling manuscripts, pruning them until they grow blue-ribbon fruits.
Sometimes while scribbling in margins, I live-tweet self-editing tips @LaraEdits.
Q: Another writing blog? Another person editing fiction?
What makes this blog—or this editor—any different?
STRENGTHSFINDER: Input, Communication, Restorative, Ideation, Developer
ALTER EGO: Captain Editorial of the Grammar Avengers (mseditors.com)
HOGWARTS HOUSE: Gryffindor
More about Me
My first love was theatre, but improv turned me on to writing. With improv, I could be any character I wanted. But with writing . . . I could be multiple characters at once. Now I’m greedy for voices—writing them, reading them, amplifying them. My goal as a writer is to make my stories and poetry readable and performable. My goal as an editor is to strengthen the voices of writers.
Publications—Fiction, Comics, and Poetry
- “Best Dressed.” Group Chat: A Comic Anthology about Friendship and Found Family. POME Press, 2018.
- Finalist for the 2019 Prism Award for Anthologies
- “Addendum to Nimona.” Addendum Project. Revolver Literary Organization, 2015.
“We Lost It up There,” Around-Around. Revolver Literary Organization, 2014.
Awarded First Place, Wanted 17 Writing Competition
“Missing,” Inkstone, Vol 13.1, 2009.
Awarded Third Place, Inkstone 2009–2010 Creative Writing Competition for Poetry.
“When Girls Watch Scary Movies,” Inkstone, Vol 13.1, 2009.
- “I Thought Not of Insignificance,” Inkstone, Vol 12.2, 2008.
- “Diversion,” Inkstone, Vol 12.2, 2008.
- Awarded First Place, Inkstone 2008–2009 Creative Writing Competition for Fiction.
- “Those Mountains,” Inkstone, Vol 11.2, 2007.
- “Nap Time,” Inkstone, Vol 11.2, 2007.
- “Revise for the Stars: Diction, Rhythm, and Syntax to Garner Starred Reviews.” Hamline University MFAC Residency, St. Paul, MN, January 2020.
- “An Examination of the Portrayal of Chivalry and Courtly Love in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.” Sigma Tau Delta International Convention, Minneapolis, MN, March 2009.
- “Not Solely for Geeks and Kids: Illustrations Are for All of Us.” 2008 Minnesota Honors Collegiate Symposium, St. Paul, MN, April 2008.