In 2017, I’m hosting the third annual pg70pit, a totally unique type of contest and pitching opportunity for writers with complete, polished novels (Middle Grade, YA, or NA/Adult) in any genre except erotica. #70pit17 is this year’s hashtag. Enter on JUNE 7, 2017. The lottery winners and Twinners will be announced on the 17th of June, and the top 7 entries of each category will enter the agent round on July 7, 2017.
- June 7—Submit your entry and, if you want to increase your odds, join the Twitter Pitch Party!
- June 7–15—Retweet your favorite pitches.
- June 17—70 lottery winners and the 7 Twitter Pitch winners announced for each age category.
- July 7—AGENT ROUND for top 7 entries in each age category
You may only enter one manuscript per age category, and it must be polished and ready to send to agents that would request the full.
What makes 70-pit different?
- No query, no 35-word pitch, no first page.
- Age categories are submitted with different forms and will be given equal attention.
- Entries will be chosen by lottery AND by Twitter Pitch popularity (see below for details!)
Have you ever heard of the McLuhan Test? (Go ahead, read the article. It’s only 250 words.)
It’s also called the “Page 69 Test,” and after learning about it, it’s now how I choose whether or not I’ll purchase a book. The sixty-ninth page is far enough in that things should really be happening, and it can be a better snapshot of the entire book’s style than the first page.
70pit takes this idea but removes the connotations with the number 69.
Besides, in manuscript formatting, page 69 will be your document’s page 70, since your first page is the title page.
For 70pit, you’ll need the following:
- Your e-mail address (this is private and used only to verify entries)
- Your code name from song lyrics, up to 7 words (This contest is anonymous—choose something difficult to trace back to you and UNCOMMON. Popular song titles are common.)
- The song your code name came from (in case you are added to the Top 10 playlist)
- Your novel’s intended audience—Middle Grade, Teen, or Adult (Adult is 20+)
- Your novel’s word count, rounded to the nearest thousand
- Your novel’s genre (I have a guide to major genres here and the sub-genres of science fiction and fantasy here)
- Seven words describing your MC (DO NOT include name)
- Your 70th page (choose either your 69th or 70th page.)
Note: this is a family-friendly blog, and any NSFW language will be replaced with the first letter and a dash (like this: “f—”). People will still know what you mean, and my blog won’t be flagged as inappropriate.
You’ll enter via online form on my blog. Be sure to follow my blog so you don’t miss it! (Sign up in the right sidebar of my blog on desktop devices, or scroll below this post in mobile devices.)
See How to Submit for more details and answers to the FAQ.
YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO ENTER.
The submission forms—one for each age category—will go live at LaraWillard.com/blog at 12:01 a.m. EST on June 7, 2017, and will be removed at 12:00 a.m. June 8th, 2017.
70 submissions from each age category will be selected at random to be considered in the contest. I will use a random number generator to select the entries. Lottery winners will be announced on June 17th on my blog.
Twitter Pitch Party
At any time on June 7th, and only once, tweet out your 7-word description with both the hashtag #pg70pit* and the hashtag of your age category: #A #YA or #MG.
Read through some of the other pitches and Like/Fave or Quote-RT** as many as you want.
Choose your 7 favorite pitches to nominate for one of the 7 Twinner spots.
*Use hashtag #70pit17 for all other tweets about the contest
**On Twitter.com, that means adding a comment when you RT. On the Twitter App, that means choosing “Quote RT.”
Seven “Twinners” from each age category will gain entry into the contest in addition to the 70 lottery winners.
To be eligible for one of those spots, you need to choose your seven favorite #70pit17 pitches and retweet them.
Your 7 RTs can be from any age category, but they CANNOT BE QUOTE RETWEETS!
If you don’t retweet 7 of your fellow participants, you can still try your luck in the lottery, but you won’t be eligible for one of the 7 Twinner spots.
Encourage your friends to like or retweet your pitch!
The 7 Twinners from each age category will bypass the lottery and be judged alongside the lottery winners. Twinners will be announced June 17th on my blog.
The SEVEN top entries from each category will be posted on 7/7 at larawillard.com. Agents can peruse the entries and make requests for queries, partials, fulls, or the encompassing chapter—whatever they’d like. There is no time limit for requests. After the 14th, if any more requests come in, I will email the authors to notify them of their requests.
In June I’ll start listing the participating agencies!
- In our first year, we had 79 MG entries, 236 YA entries, and 198 Adult Entries.
- We chose 14 winners from each category for a total of 42.
- Agents requested 60 times.
Find me on Twitter (@larathelark, @laraedits) and use the hashtag #70pit17