Manuscript Format Template (free download)

MS-format

Have you read my posts on Formatting your Novel Manuscript? If not, read part one here and part two here.

I surveyed forty literary agents in October of 2014 to ask them which font they preferred for submitted manuscripts. The clear winner was Times New Roman. Many agents read pages on e-readers or mobile devices, and TNR is a web-safe, system-installed, serif.  Using TNR allows them to read pages without changing formatting first, but it is also an easy font to change.

Download the MS Format TEMPLATE.

Right-click the link above and “save as.” I saved it as a Word Document, even though I personally use Pages, so if there are any issues, please report them to me! Our PC isn’t working, and I don’t have Word on my Macbook Pro.

This template uses paragraph styles, which you can import into any preexisting document. Otherwise save a copy of MS Format TEMPLATE, rename it, and begin typing or pasting your manuscript.

Read through all of the instructions on the template, and save it as-is to keep as a reference. Do not type into the original TEMPLATE—type in a duplicate or copy file.

Copyright Notice:

This template was created by me for personal or educational use only. You may share it with others—simply give them this link or share the link on social media using the buttons below. You may not pass this template off as your own or charge anyone to use it. You may not upload the template to any website or blog.

Of course, you have full ownership of your own manuscript, whether you use my template or paragraph styles to format it.

10 thoughts on “Manuscript Format Template (free download)

1. Carla Jo says:

Thank you for the template! I’ve wasted an entire evening not writing, but trying to teach myself how to format a manuscript. I wish I’d come here first. Again, thank you. God bless you!

2. gillian72 says:

Thank you for the template. You are a superstar.
    I have a lot of experience with Word and I know how to do all the bits but I get so tangled up with everything that I forget what I am supposed to be doing half the time.
    Your template is an awesome time saver.

• Lara says:

You’re welcome! I hope it works OK—I actually made it in Pages and exported it as a .doc, but hopefully it transitioned smoothly with no hiccups.

3. eradamus says:

Hi, my name is Sam, and I recently (by recently, I mean back in June, though I have gone back to it recently) finished the first draft of my novel, and this helped a lot. Thank you a lot! Have a nice day, and God bless!

• eradamus says:

Thanks! That’s nearly finished, fortunately, so I’m letting beta readers such as my sister read it now. Thank you once more, and have a great day! 🙂

• Lara says:

You’re welcome! If you need any help while revising, I’ve got links up in the menu to some resources here on my blog. In late winter I’ll also be doing a revision workshop at StoryCadet.com. Best of luck!